Mid 1700s Men's Court Suit.
So this was a project that took some time to come together and some time to complete, which is why I seem to have lost most of the photos. I have here a few progress shots of the coat, and a snap shot of the coat and waistcoat, but none of the breaches. Hopefully it will come back to me for alterations some day and then I can re photograph it. Until that day, I don't want it to go unmentioned because I loved this project.
The client loves to blend the Baroque and New Gothic styles. He came to me with fabric in hand and a good idea of what he wanted. We took it from there. The outfit is cut along the lines of a court suit from 1750s +/-. The breeches (not pictured) are fall front with a wide fitted waistband and fitted knee bands in the same pintucked red taffeta as the coat. The waist coat is made from a charcoal grey hammered satin and the coat again from the pintucked red taffeta. We used a different fabric for the waistcoat because he wanted custom embroidery for the waist coat and I was uncertain how the pintucks would lay with embroidery. Contrary to his love of this period, he wasn't found of the contemporary embroidery styles. He said they reminded him of dish cloth motifs. So it was decided to use something more gothic, his other great aesthetic love. I found a design online that incorporated roses and thorns and once I had his approval, set out to digitize the design and run endless tests with my computerized embroidery machine. With the addition of some quality metallic trim, the end effect is stunning. The snaps shot doesn't really do justice to it as a whole.
Please check back. Some day I hope to have the opportunity to expand this page with more details of the design and execution.